Director of Design
La Macchia Group, LLC is looking for a Director of Design to join our team! The ideal candidate will have at least six years of professional management experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. A Bachelor's and/or Master's Degree in Architecture is strongly desired. If you are a hardworking and goal-oriented individual, we want you!
Founded in 2002 by Ralph and Mary Lou La Macchia, La Macchia Group’s mission is to provide customized design/build solutions to financial institutions while maintaining an unwavering commitment to integrity. Ralph, a seasoned professional in the financial institution design/build industry, and Mary Lou, a CPA who was then CFO of a financial institution, had a unique vision on how to do a better job of helping financial institutions improve their businesses. Ralph and Mary Lou’s business model was based on providing an open-book delivery from market analysis through construction. The primary differentiator from other delivery models is a distinct focus on research and Return on Investment as the basis for decision-making.
La Macchia Group’s methodology has proven to be effective, as evidenced by the Unedited Reference List and high percentage of repeat clients. La Macchia Group has projects in over half the United States and continues to expand geographically.
As the Director of Design, you will be responsible for providing leadership in the Architecture Studio including, but not limited to, all business, staff and financial operations, project profitability, marketing and business development, client success, and employee development. The ideal candidate for this position is responsive with a client-focused work style and a strong background in commercial (financial institutions) design-build projects. He or she will lead a team to develop and execute innovative design within a collaborative studio environment.
- Attends weekly Operations Meetings
- Attends Management Committee Meetings
- Attends SharePoint Committee Meetings
- Attends L:\ Drive Committee Meetings
- Time sheet reviews
- Expense report reviews
- PTO request reviews
- Process development
- Standards development
- Creates staffing/workload projections
- Staff maintenance (recruitment, hiring, evaluation, termination, etc.)
- Project Assignments
- Hardware/software assessments
- Assistance with Revit conversion
- Department budgeting
- Data analysis -- Agreement review (Memorandum of Understanding "MOU")
- Data tracking
- Performance evaluations
- Quality Control
- Due diligence
- Site test fits
- Program reviews
- Conceptual Design Charrettes
- Refined concept reviews
- Internal estimate reviews
- Operations analysis reviews
- Internal/External Kick Offs (KO's)
- Schedule reviews
- Scope/Program reviews
- Due diligence reviews
- Department on-boarding
- Financial equipment
- Space planning (Vignettes)
- Financial operations
- Software (see list below)
- Operational efficiencies
- Architectural Design
- Interior Design
- Branding (Environmental Graphics)
Estimated 10% occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Bachelor of Architecture or Master of Architecture Degree.
- Minimum of six years of professional management experience.
- Great team player with excellent communication skills and ability to handle multiple tasks of projects.
- Eager to learn, good listener, curious and proactive with strong time management skills.
- Solid understanding of applicable codes and building construction systems, materials, and standards.
- High proficiency with Autodesk AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit, Google Sketchup, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Project, Teams) and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop) ProCore, Blue Beam, Plan Grid, HH2, SharePoint.
- Experience with permitting and entitlement process is a plus.
- Knowledge of the total project process including fee and team management, schedules and budgets.
- Strong leadership and management abilities with a desire to mentor team members including excellent and effective skills to offer guidance.
What Our Expectations Look Like:
- Self-motivated, collaborative and a strong mentor.
- Understanding of market trends and industry knowledge relative to our client base.
- Able to create and develop overall design concepts, design presentation strategies and provide creative and process leadership throughout all phases of projects.
- Use your advanced knowledge to work directly with clients and the internal team to lead the visioning and design of projects with a collaborative approach.
- Mentor and contribute to a creative studio culture by promoting design excellence.
- Have a keen attention to detail and an awareness for creative and thoughtful design.
- Engage clients/owners in the design process through relationship building and responsive communication.
- Coordinate technical solutions with consultants and vendors to ensure seamless integration of the interiors with site, architecture, building systems, lighting, technology, acoustics and furnishings.
- Craft and prepare Request for Proposal responses including firm collateral and authoring fee proposals.
- Lead and collaborate with others in developing training and mentorship programs with emphasis on design.
- Lead and collaborate with others to create an efficient and effective design process that engages all staff.
- Create and promote an environment the encourages the exploration of ideas within the cultural parameters of the firm and the needs of the client.
- Contribute to an facilitate the effective and consistent use of design and graphic standards to establish and reinforce the La Macchia Group brand on all design material that leaves the office in all forms.
- Collaborate with Sales and Project Managers to assess project and client design needs, staffing, budgeting, project schedules and to establish effective communications.
- Proactively act as an advocate for design by supporting the team throughout the life of a project.
Relative professional experience will be considered, however, there is a strong preference for the following:
- Strong, persuasive communicator with excellent verbal presentation skills and the ability to communicate complex design concepts to clients.
- A sense of business acumen to advise and guide clients as required.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships across the firm, with clients, and with other key constituents.
- Outstanding graphic presentation skills.
A resume and design portfolio is required for the interview process.*